Sunday, July 18, 2010

Fun Friday

Fun Friday, indeed! It started out that way - the middle school "Gotta keep reading" YouTube video was awesome, the image generators seemed useful, and certainly it was enjoyable to walk around campus with our cameras. But that's where the fun ended... Our assigned presentation tool, 280slides, simply would not cooperate. Pictures seemed to be uploading (albeit extremely slowly), but we just couldn't figure out how to access them. I am using the term "we" loosely, here, because I was definitely no help at all. I'm usually adept at coming up with a Plan B, but with Plan A being totally new and a mystery to me, I had nothing to offer to the endeavor. Totally frustrating and more than a little embarassing! So I went back to it and tried again, the results of which can be seen on my wiki page, optimistically entitled "Presentation." 280slides has you share the presentation [I ended up with 9 slides - 4 pictures of different rooftops around campus and 4 inspirational slides (with a starry night sky background) + the title page] with SlideShare, which I did. But when I copied it over to the wiki, the photos were missing, the background wasn't there, and the text was all out of alignment. Will not be using this site!
However, this new (well, new to me) language that we're learning is nothing short of amazing, and I WILL become fluent! Oh, and thank you to Eileen Mann for emailing her Webspiration. Now this is one useful tool - I can see it being put to good use both in the library and in the classroom. Anything that encourages collaboration between teachers and librarians is valuable.
One more thought - On Friday, Karen mentioned that as school librarians we need to become partners with the principal. So true! But I'm thinking I better have a great rapport with the computer teacher, as well, since something tells me we'll be working a lot together...

1 comment:

  1. LOL - YES, it is a good idea to become buddies with the computer teacher, too!!

    ReplyDelete